[OpenIndiana-discuss] SATA Expansion cards

David Scharbach david.scharbach at mac.com
Sun Feb 1 20:20:33 UTC 2015

I used the RES2SV240 card in OI for a while with no issues.  It is a standard LSI based LSISAS2x expander chip.  Use it now in FreeNAS and the 9211-8i card functions fine with SATA drives.  I currently have 20 SATA drives connected to it with no issues while running IT firmware and ZFS.

I have also tried a SATA expansion card and it sucked.  There is a big difference between a proper SAS expander like the RES2SV240 and cheap SATA expanders.

I have never plugged and expander into an expander though :)  This should be possible but I have never had the need to do so.

Cheers,