[OpenIndiana-discuss] data on rpool - Bad idea?

Michael Hase michael at edition-software.de
Sat Feb 7 15:56:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I've read that it is a bad idea to have datasets on the same disc
> that rpool is on.  I'm not sure why that is so.
>
> In my current situation I need more space but to rig up my
> `HP xw8600 workstation' with more disc space will require getting a cage
> and some new discs, not to mention the huffing and puffing necessary
> to get it all installed and usable.

I'd recommend one of these 4x2.5" sata/sas bays and an additional cheap
lsi sas hba. I use 2 2.5" 36gb sas disks as rpool, 4 3.5" data disks, and
an additional ssd for zil. Some spare laptop sata disks can be used for
rpool, too. Fitted nicely in my old hp xw8400.

In the meantime all disks and the 4x2.5" bay migrated to a xeon e3 box (no
reinstall necessary), as these old hp boxes are way to expensive to run
24x7 here in germany.

Cheers,
Michael