[OpenIndiana-discuss] data on rpool - Bad idea?

Michael Hase michael at edition-software.de
Mon Feb 9 09:02:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Michael Hase <michael at edition-software.de> writes:
>
> [...] Thanks for the (snipped suggestion)
>
>> In the meantime all disks and the 4x2.5" bay migrated to a xeon e3 box
>> (no reinstall necessary), as these old hp boxes are way to expensive
>> to run 24x7 here in germany.
>
> Do you mean they just pull to much fire (I mean voltage/amprage)?
>
> How do they (xw8600 2x xeon (5400's)) compare to your  xeon e3 box.

Exactly, 70W idle for the e3 box, 250W idle for the xw8400. Same number of
disks, the xeon e3 has 24gb ram, the hp had 16gb. Which results in about
EUR 170 per year in electricity bills for the xeon e3, and about EUR 600
per year for the hp. All calculated for small businesses or private users.

Single thread performance on the e3 is better. Overall throughput may be a
bit better on the hp if you have quad core cpus, I only had dual core
ones. But cpu performance never was an issue for my sorts of development.
The hp box would still have enough horsepower, and it is nicely
engineered, it's just to expensive to run.

> Including the money factor... (I paid 750 for the xw8600 with 2 1tb discs)

Uh, these boxes can be had for EUR 100 or even cheaper around here
(excluding disks) - for the above reason ;-)

Cheers,
Michael