[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP Proliant Microserver N54L Upgrade

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Feb 12 11:29:57 UTC 2015

David,

I assume you have the 4 disks in some sort of RAID configuration. If you
want to sweat it, you can pull one drive out and have it re-silver the
replacement drive, repeat for the second drive, etc.  If you do this I
would run a scrub before pulling each drive, just in case.  If you have
some particularly important stuff I would copy it somewhere.

One other silly thing you might do is to get an external USB enclosure
and use that.  You then mirror one of the drives and then shut down and
swap them.  If it doesn't work then swap them back.  I haven't tried
this so YMMV.

I have an 8-port sata controller but use 6 mirrored pairs (2 internal
and 4 external in a 5-bay chassis) in my setup.  This allows me to add
drives to a mirror and remove others with reduced anxiety. The setup is
getting old (It's about 12 years running now) so I'm looking for a
low-cost, low-powered replacement.

Gary