[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP Proliant Microserver N54L Upgrade

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 15:54:48 UTC 2015

Sadly, I think it's more complicated, but that might be it.  I had lots of fun w/ the sector size reporting.  I went around and around w/ the Toshiba for days.  This was in conjunction w/ getting an RMA from HGST which replaced a 512 sector drive w/ a 4k sector drive.  I *did* get that to work w/ Sol 10_u8 , but it was a huge effort. I recall I fiddled w/ sd.conf a lot trying to get the Toshiba pool to align properly.  I was on the verge of cutting the Toshiba enclosure open so I could attach to the SATA port when I figured out how to make it work.

It's entirely possible that I labeled the Toshiba on Linux and then created the zpool on 151a7.  I know I labeled and formatted the disk on Linux several times and was very frustrated that it worked w/ Linux but not OI.

I find the blank partition table a bit disturbing.  I was trying a lot of different things trying to find a way to make it work and making lots of noise on the list in the process.  I might even have written something coherent.  Not likely, but it might not hurt to search the list archives.

We  got  a solid sheet of 2-3" of sleet on the ground last night, so I'm not going anywhere.  I'll see if I can find any other bread crumbs.  Please suggest anything you'd like me to try, as long as it's not something that will wipe the drive ;-)

It used to be that my canonical test for admin experience was to mention modems.  If they cringed, I knew they were experienced.  Now I think I'd mention attaching a 6 TB disk.

Have Fun!
Reg