[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 00:10:36 UTC 2015

On 02/25/15 11:47 PM, Bruce Lilly wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:53 AM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can also download, ungzip , concatenate with cat (cat *.txt > listname)
>> and use in Thunderbird as local searchable mailing list archive.
>> If you point new mail list messages in that folder in client,  you can
>> have full up to date archive.
>>
> One can, if one is so inclined.  And repeat the whole process for each user
> who wants to read the messages.
Hm, that is interesting remark. I was thinking of that. Maybe there
could be automatically made
"whole" mailing list archive available, as one file, so it could be
always fresh-downloaded for local archive form Mail client inclusion.  :)
That might be done, to spare one from doing wget, gunzip *.gz, cat >> ,
mv. :) Or may be not.
> And for other MUAs.  And for other OSes, if a multi-boot system.  And on
> each separate system on which it is desired to read the messages.
Well you see, we sort of get used to using ZFS datasets for everyting :)
I have /export/home/username/.thunderbird as separate dataset and it can
be used with ZFS
on: ZFSOnLinux kernel module (all Linux distros, some even have prepared
packages autocompile and installation), OSX (ZfsOnLinux port), FreeBSD
and all illumos distros.
So I can certainly share same Thunderbird profile between all those
platforms (and Windows if using NFS or SMB share) :)

Of course, that was not your point of searchability and versatility for
average Joe needing to sniff how things are going on on lists, but I
couldn't stop myself to point how ZFS is multiplatform and great :P
> But it's rather inconvenient to do all of that, and it takes a great deal
> of local storage.
As explained, it takes absolutely no additional of local storage
(especially with ZFS and network exports)
plus Openindiana has automated self-controlling (one-click enabled) way
of managing dataset snapshots, (Time slider) that can even take care of
safeguarding your Mail client profile dir.
Snapshots in 15 minutes, half hour, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and
yearly shapshots, without even attending to it yourself ;)
Also snapshots use only that much additional space as there are _bits_
(clusters) changed between one and next snapshot, so it's like "backup
in-place" (not real backup, but let's play with how it sounds) :)
And yes, it's in production since 2006 or so ;P

rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_monthly-2015-01-31-08h57
834M      -  3.82G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_weekly-2015-02-07-08h57 605M
-  4.77G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_weekly-2015-02-14-11h36 42.8M
-  4.83G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_weekly-2015-02-22-10h28 27.5M
-  4.88G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2015-02-27-00h08
2.39M      -  4.85G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2015-02-27-00h23
1.43M      -  4.85G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2015-02-27-00h38
1.52M      -  4.85G  -
rpool/export/home/user/.thunderbird at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2015-02-27-00h53 1.32M
-  4.85G  -

(re-used with Linux, OSX, illumos and Windows over Nfs/Smb)
:)