[OpenIndiana-discuss] Should I see a major slowdown when rsyncing to zfs nfs share

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Jan 3 04:30:04 UTC 2015

Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto at gmail.com> writes:

> is it mounted with noatime?  Updating access time for every file being read
> over nfs sometimes results in massive slowdown.  An nfs rsync of millions
> of tiny files would exhibit this pathology.
>
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

OOps I forgot to show the mount on client (linux) side:

grep /nfs/bk /etc/fstab
  2x.local.lan:/rrsnap/gv   /nfs/bk   nfs4 defaults 0     0

The disc where the directory /nfs/bk lives, and the nfs share is
mounted, does have noatime set.

/dev/sda3        /            ext4     noatime         0 1

The backup includes /var/ so I guess the cache and maybe a few other
places may have a goodly number of smallish files but I doubt it would
number in the millions.