[OpenIndiana-discuss] Should I see a major slowdown when rsyncing to zfs nfs share

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Jan 3 16:21:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it would be faster over ssh but haven't tried that
> yet.
>
> Is this really abnormal?  Can any of you give some idea what I should
> be expecting here?

It is normal.  NFS writes are synchronous writes.  Unless your server
has special provisions to make synchronous writes fast, there will be
a significant slow-down.

Doing rsync over SSH the other way around (pull from server) or over a
SSH login on the server (push to server) will be primarility limited
by the performance of the SSH encryption algorithm used.

For my home-grown backup system, I have the server use ssh to access
the system to be backed up, using rsync to transfer the data, and the
transfer is efficient.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn