[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is this kind of nfs speed just tiny bit outrageous?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Jan 4 23:40:09 UTC 2015

James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com> writes:

> On 1/3/2015 7:32 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Server OS: OI 115_a9 client OS: Gentoo linux (up to date)
>>
>> On client: I recently decided I'd like to write rsnapshot (using
>> rsync) backups to an nfs mounted zfs share on OI nfs server.
>>
>> The first trial seem pretty outrageous in terms of time taken to
>> complete.
>
> What does your invocation line look like?  Is it like this:
>
>    ... /path/on/linux/ /net/server/path/on/OI/
>
> or like this:
>
>    ... /path/on/linux/ server:/path/on/OI/

If you mean the mounting line:

>From OP (taken from linux (client) /etc/fstab):

> 2x.local.lan:/rrsnap/gv   /nfs/bk   nfs4   defaults    0     0
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^
  OI server                 linux localhost

Like your second example only nfs server (Solaris) first. Client last.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

But if you mean the rsnapshot invocation then:

rsnapshot (using rsync) is running on linux client so

 rsync line (one of serveral) would be:

  rsync /var/ >>> (nfs Mounted share on lchost) /nfs/bk/
The later being the nfs mount point.

I'd guess the most small files would be in the /var hierarchy but that
is only one of the local source pths.

Even there, it is a newish install so not really that many small
files, way less than the millions you mentioned.

More like:
  # find /var/ -type f|wc -l
 66269

  # find /etc/ -type f|wc -l
 678

And another 2200 from various sources.

Really pretty small potatoes for such a hefty time consumption.

>From OP:
 real    314m10.421s
 user    0m0.454s
 sys     3m52.071s

318 minutes for 1.3 GB

> I assume it's the former, and you're trying to write zillions of tiny
> files via NFS.  If so, I suspect you're seeing the action of NFS COMMIT:

> https://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/nfs_and_zfs_a_fine

I got lost after a few paragrapths there.  Is it really like what I'm
doing?

> The simple answer is "don't do that."  You can serialize the stream,
> transfer the serialized stream over the network (via ssh or rsync's
> own protocol), and then write locally.  This is what I do with my
> rsync jobs, regardless of whether the target server is Solaris, Linux,
> AIX, or something else.

Not sure what you mean by `serialize' (in rotation perhaps?) but if
what you are saying is that ssh is faster... yes .. in my case it is
orders of magnitude faster.

Running the same rsnapshot/ rsync over an sshfs mounted share located
on zfs server is dozens of times faster than what I reported for nfs.

Can't find the `time' report now but I think single digits, maybe 8
minutes.

> https://blogs.oracle.com/perrin/entry/slog_blog_or_blogging_on

Looking into your last URL now, but do you think your original
thoughts on this still hold?