[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to have cpan shell not act like primative ungainly turd

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Jan 9 03:06:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Can any cpan user tell me if there are things I can do so the cpan
> shell behaves more like a modern bash shell?... so that walking back
> thru history doesn't just insert a bunch of control char.

I suspect that this depends on if Perl is linked with GNU readline (a
library) on my Solaris 10 system where I installed Perl myself,
command line editing and history works properly.

> Also how to tell cpan where gcc or other things, for example, the
> readline libraries, are?

Perl likes to remember how it was built and apply the same settings to
all other builds.  If Perl was built with Sun Studio, then it likely
applies settings proper for Sun Studio and not GCC.

It order to escape this, you can install Perl from source code
compiled with GCC.  Expect it to be an adventure.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn