[OpenIndiana-discuss] A ZFS related question: How successful is ZFS, really???

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 16:00:37 UTC 2015

Schweiss, Chip wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Andrew Gabriel <
> illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Since you mention Sun/Oracle, I don't see them pushing ZFS very much
>> anymore, although I am aware their engineers still work on it.
>>

> Oracle pushes ZFS hard and aggressively.   I dare you to fill out their
> contact form or download their virtual appliance demo.  Their sales people
> will be calling within the hour.

OK, that's good to hear. During a year of working with very many
customers in the UK tendering for storage (including some former Sun
openstorage customers), I only saw Oracle bidding their ZFS storage
appliance in one case.

I did come across several more cases of customers building their own
systems using Oracle Solaris 11 on third party hardware, but that's not
something Oracle pushes.