[OpenIndiana-discuss] A ZFS related question: How successful is ZFS, really???

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 17:12:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ZFS is the most advanced filesystem on the planet IMHO, we have been using
> it for 10+ years in production.

+1

There is some fragmentation, Solaris 11 has an incompatible version of ZFS,
> at least for now.

  In the same fashion as Microsoft tried to "embrace, extend, extinguish"
Java, Oracle's purposely trying to break compatibility with the mainstream
zfs community here, I think.  Since it works very well on Illumos, SmartOS,
Nexenta, Coraid, Linux, FreeBSD and many others I'm probably not even aware
of now, it probably scares Oracle as they're no longer "in control" of this
thing that they purport to "own."  Heck, they're not even relevant
regarding real world development and deployment of it anymore.

  The rest of the community is being cohesive about understanding zfs
versions, features, etc.  Peep this:
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS

> Seriously though, ZFS does more than any other file system, it is more
> robust and it's easier to manage ... all other filesystems are useless in
> comparison.

well put; +1

> BTRFS, don't go there, it's a poor man's ZFS, the Microsoft "equivalent"
> likewise shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

 yeah, +1 but I haven't even checked it out deeply..  BTRFS ("butterface")
is likely just a NIH / licensing religious artifact / vaporware.