[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Tue Jan 27 20:41:59 UTC 2015

The forum vs. email split seems to break down along the lines of polling
vs. push.  People who have used email for a long time and know how to
manage large amounts of it prefer the push model; people who are less
familiar with it, and think in terms of online "communities," tend to
prefer forums.  I like email lists, and find visiting multiple websites to
poll forums cumbersome, but this seems to be a really unfamiliar and
uncomfortable model for anyone under 30 --  much like how many people my
age are not familiar with newsgroups and have no idea how to use them.

I will say that as long as forums stick around (a major caveat) they seem
to be more searchable; search engines seem well-tuned to access them,
compared to email archives; email list archives also often have broken
threading and are increasingly being made private due to spam concerns.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Glenn Holmer <shadowm at lyonlabs.org> wrote:

> On 01/25/2015 11:41 AM, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> > I asked what was broken, so the text below misquotes me entirely.
>
> The message I was responding to quoted incorrectly:
>

> http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2015-January/017043.html
>
> > I do not think anything needs to be changed.
>
> I am in agreement with you. A forum is not necessary.
>
> --
> Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
> "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics
University of Washington
GPG key fingerprint: 0DB7 4B50 8910 DBC5 B510 79C4 3970 2BC3 2078 D875