[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Wed Jan 28 22:09:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM, James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com>
wrote:

> Indeed.  That's mostly as a side-effect of all those developers setting
> up little Facebook-like forum fiefdoms.  I hate having to visit 100 of
> these just to keep up, so I don't.  If it comes to me via email (for
> which I've subscribed), then I read it.  Otherwise, I likely won't see it.

Personally, I think the best of both worlds is a forum where I can opt-in
to get email when topic areas that interest me have activity.  That way I
don't have to constantly check, but I don't have to deal with vast volumes
of email, either.  (I have mailing list folders with hundreds of unread
messages in them.  The odds of my ever sorting through them for the few
topics that interest me are pretty minimal.)

That said, the steady withering of this project since Oracle withdrew
support makes it all kind of moot; a dozen or so email messages a week
isn't much of a burden.  At this point I view it as a historic preservation
project, which I follow for the one OpenSolaris server I have that hasn't
been replaced yet.

--
D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics