[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fixing DHCP networking

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Jul 14 21:01:29 UTC 2015

On 07/14/15 16:12, mike-romberg at comcast.net wrote:

>      > Okay, you could try doing it the old fashioned way.
>
>      > svcadm disable nwam
>      > svcadm enable physical:default
>      > ifconfig -a plumb
>      > ifconfig <interface from ifconfig> dhcp
>
>  Thank you very much!  That right there is exactly the kind of
> simple minded easy to type sorta thing I was looking for :).  I'll try it
> shortly and report back (56% done downloading...)

Nit: that last command should be "dhcp start".  Take a look at the
ifconfig(1M) description for "auto-dhcp".

Using the old-style interface, those commands would be made "permanent"
(i.e., effective at boot time) by doing this:

	touch /etc/hostname.$IF
	touch /etc/dhcp.$IF

where "$IF" is the name of the interface in question (e.g., e1000g0).