[OpenIndiana-discuss] todays experience in OI hipster

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Jul 21 11:04:54 UTC 2015

On 07/21/15 12:52 PM, Ramesh Chari wrote:
> 1. after a lot of jugglery i was atlast able to play mp3 files using xmms as well as beep media player clash of plugins n that i installed using pkgin from joyent source. [here i did not have any plugins clash or plugins not available / loaded]
> 2. after todays update, i felt mplayer should work but alas, libx....so.125 was needed where as the system was having libx...so.140. i felt if the system was updated to *so..140, relative apps that  needed may have been made compatible. i am sure it will be solved and OI will truly become a rugged desktop on par with its BSD cousins..!

1) and 2) I am using other SFE repository (and search goes in order of
displaying items):

$ PUBLISHER                   TYPE     STATUS P LOCATION
openindiana.org              origin   online F
http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015/
localhostoi151a8              origin   online F
http://sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoi151a8/
sfe            (non-sticky) origin   online F
http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe/
sfe-encumbered              origin   online F
http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe-encumbered/

For playing of various media types, I can now use: totem
(openindiana.org), vlc and mlpayer (both from sfe.opencsw.org).

I see there is preparation for
http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/ - but I guess it is not
yet ready for use).

Regards.

> 3. wifi usb adapter. i have WUSB54GCv3,0 cicso-linksys usb adapter which shows up in device driver utility as a usb_mid device. i am trying to learn to use nwamcfg to make this work but i am unsure of using the dev [should it be urtwn0 ot ral0?]

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!