[OpenIndiana-discuss] No longer using OI Desktop

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:48:40 UTC 2015

I wasn't going to add to this discussion, otherwise I might sound bitter
when in fact I'm more disappointed with myself, and the fact I've chosen
the "easy" option...

FYI I still have OI in a virtualbox, but no longer run it as my GUI or even
every day.

I know I'm a coder, and should help write drivers, but my driver writing
experience is 16 years ago on an old Linux SCSI driver, and that was more
of a code chasing exercise. I don't even write in C any more, mostly
PL/SQL, perl and ruby. Unlike 16 years ago, I'm now a dad of 3, one
autistic, and I have very little spare time when not in the office.

I felt the best way to help the "community" was to _use_ OI on a daily
basis, report back issues and potential work arounds (915resolution being
one of them), and to help on the discussion boards when people asked
questions I felt I could answer.

This thread wasn't a complaint about the work you guys do, and I do hope
you continue to do it, more a comment on the fact that I felt I couldn't
continue to work for my employers using OI as my primary desktop because it
currently isn't fit for purpose.  I was under a lot of pressure from the
other coders to get in line with Ubuntu, like they use, and I could no
longer justify staying with it as my GUI, even if I can still run it on my
servers.

Jon