[OpenIndiana-discuss] No longer using OI Desktop

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 07:06:42 UTC 2015

On 06/ 8/15 08:33 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos via
> openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
>> The real problem is that OI has no community---just people who contribute
>> almost nothing (of course there are brilliant exceptions...) and who are
>> always critical about this and about that.
>
> I think partly this is because there's a very high barrier to entry.  For
> example, last I heard building the complete system from source still
> required access to a closed-source, non-publicly-available compiler.
You should update your findings.
illumos in meantime cleared almost all closed parts in kernel (if ANY is
left, ask illumos guys, not OI).
Also par example, everything in OI Hipster is build with gcc, so you can
check your findings on that front, too.

For documentation, also there is illumos docs and Opensolaris docs (that
is by no mean outdated but usefull).

So I as of all to stop this thread, because
even it is well intended, extending it spreads just more FUD then it
serves anything.

If you want to use it, do it, if you wand to watch it advance , pick up
changes in Hipster:
http://hipster.openindiana.org:8080/
and there are 2 channelt on Freenode, #oi-dev and #openindiana , where
you can hang,
I myself had old /dev 151a3 install (so I can have ZFS v28) updated to
a7,a8 and a9 and I managed to install Hipster from 20141010 in
Virtualbox, and then sent it to machine's emptied new BE with zfs send
(with user dir) , so i have both /dev and Hipster (now in hipster-2015)
on same machine and I compiled 915resolution fix.

Changes are tested by installing packages from alp's (or some other's)
build machine on http://buildzone.oi-build.r61.net:1000/ etc.

So there is more then enough space to contribute, code and build
machines are hosted on Entic.net, code is also in Github, all you need
is to find area to contribute.
And contributiion is all that matters.

Compaining is usefull just it is more like steering process with ideas,
steering it wit at least testing is a start.