[OpenIndiana-discuss] Libreoffice

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 05:34:59 UTC 2015

On 06/10/15 10:55 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> Does it really?   Serious question, I honestly don't know.

Apache OpenOffice in version 3 is available for Openindiana and is working,
it was made by Adfinis http://adfinis-sygroup.ch/aoo-solaris-x86
and I had info that Lenovo maintained LibreOffice for Openindiana before.

Apache OpenOffice had some facelifting moves in version 4 that looks
nice and also OpenOffice is well recognized in business use , for
historical reasons and for reasons of stability.

Because of development business model, I always suggest to business to
install and use OpenOffice for now,
because of slower release pace, there could have less unexpecting bugs
that could affect product public image and I expect less problems in
general with OpenOffice prcisely because the way it is delivered.

For private use, where brand new features are of need and no business
would suffer form using it and where wider audience testing is prefered,
I tell people to install LibreOffice.
It would be the best that LibreOffice serves as test bed, before
features come to OpenOffice for business use but I guess they diverged
too much.

So we need both Libre Office and Apache Open office so the question is
not one or another at all.
Question is who is prepared to devote it's man-hours and help with
testing one or another and building them and contributiong to
Openindiana in general and in what area of contribution?

I prefer openOffice, because version 3.4 still works for me fine, and
version 4 is here in Hipster, but 'just' needs figuring out problem with
saving ODF files.

Also I have at least ONE crucial OpenOffice add-on (latin/cyrlic
transliteration) that I need that works well on OpenOffice, but does not
work on Libre Office, so mu choosing is already done by that.

Besides, development model of putting out finished and tested "releases"
in Solaris-descendent distro is more in the line with ApacheOpenOffce
type of development. (those that could be supported)
Openindiana and other illumos distros are more for server use, but
still, since we (I suppose also other audience on Openindiana mailing
list) want also Desktop distribution(s),
there is surely space for LibreOffice.

LibreOffice, despite all it's developers and crowd there have not
produce Solaris/illumos desktop version of LibreOffice yet nor mentions
Opensolaris-descendent platforms on it's site.
I don't like what I hear that libreOffice removed all Solaris-related
parts from LibreOffice,
but if Libre Office accepts changes to upstream, needed for it to run on
Openindiana and other illumos distros, it could be fine.