[OpenIndiana-discuss] current status? - Re: [xwin-discuss] OpenCL or CUDA?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jun 21 21:07:12 UTC 2015

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> Its been a while since CUDA and OpenCL has been discussed, and I'm wondering
> if there has been any progress, or lack thereof, on OpenIndiana, or Solaris,
> or any of the other Solaris based distro's?
>
> Assuming there hasn't been any progress, I'm wondering if there can or will
> be any movement forward?

This is something that NVidia could inependently deliver if they chose
too.  In fact, Sun did have NVidia CUDA running in their labs for GPU
accelerator purposes.

Eventually there will be a free open-sourced OpenCL implementation
which could be ported to work on Solaris type systems.  See
"https://www.khronos.org/opencl/resources/opencl-open-source-opencl-implementations".

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn