[OpenIndiana-discuss] secure erase - confusion

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Thu Jun 25 17:24:14 UTC 2015

I would like to know if:

sg_format -S aka sg_format --security is equivalent to the famed "secure
erase" ATA command that will trigger the erasure of cells on an SSD.

In looking at Intels data center tool for SSDs they describe erase as:

      Erase all the data on the drive by issuing a SCSI Format Unit command.

If it is infact a  scsi format unit command shouldnt I be able to secure
erase with sg_format or perhaps even format. I was under the impression
secure erase was some ATA command for which we currently have no
equivalent tool (eg. hdparm)  in the solaris ecosystem.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Will sg_foramt do the job or am I
getting a wrong read on the documentation?

thanks,
j.