[OpenIndiana-discuss] Has anyone successfully built a new firefox on OI?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:53:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 1:02 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca> writes:
>

> > FYI, Firefox 31.5.0esr has been posted
> >
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-esr/contrib/
>
> Probably a rather dense headed question... but after looking up
> mozilla esr I'm not at all understanding what it is or why one might
> use it.
>
> The sight https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/,
> claims that (paraphrasing here) ESR is for Businesses, or other, who
> need exteneded support for mass deployments
>
> Further along, under `Who should use Mozilla Firefox ESR' it says that
> Moz ESR is meant for organization that manage there client desktops
>
> And it even tells you that for `personal' use you should get a
> different version.

Often, a business will have a number of key applications in common
use. Due to bone-headed stupidity on the part of the authors of said
applications, they end up being compatible with only certain versions
of certain browsers. Therefore, IT departments will want to lock down
the browser versions so that employees can actually access the tools
they need to get their work done. In that world, randomly updating to a
newer browser will often cause breakage, so you want to stick with a
known good version.

(Of course, if your expenses website only works with IE8 and your sales
portal needs IE10, then you end up with your sales people either unable
to make sales or to claim their expenses. Add java version compatibility
issues and it turns into a game of whack-a-mole.)

--
-Peter Tribble