[OpenIndiana-discuss] rastertoz55 and the Lexmark X6170

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Mar 17 10:42:56 UTC 2015

On 17/03/2015 04:28, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:

> If I live long enough, one day I shall post a long article describing
> the difficulty of using a Solaris-derived system, when the entire
> open-source world assumes that you are using Linux.  But today I have
> a more specific question.

Welcome to the world of professional Open Source, where you have
to fight a silent and strange gentlemens aggreement between business
men which try to force anything except MS/Apple/Linux to be legacy
and obsolete, and the pupils bugging you with their toys...
> It worked well, until now, because now my printer is a Lexmark X6170,
> which apparently requires input in "z55" format, and I have no idea
> what the devil "z55" format is, and how to generate it.  The "gs -?"
> command does not mention any device with "z55" in its name.
>
> Thus I now turn to the collective wisdom of the membership of this
> mailing list.  How do I generate z55 output, on my Solaris-derived
> system, so that I can use my printer for something other than a
> paperweight?  As always, I thank you in advance for any and all
> replies.

After investigating, I don't believe that there is a real chance
to get that working natively under illumos. Three options left:

1. use a Linux qemu-kvm VM as a printer server
2. use wine with the printer driver
3. ditch that one and buy a better supported printer...

I would proceed with option 1.