[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot get into X following updage (hipster)

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Mar 18 12:05:43 UTC 2015

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> On 03/17/15 03:57 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>>> Following update of an hipster install running as Vbox guest on an OI
>>> (151_9) installation, rebooted to new BE following upgarde, But it
>>> does not bring up X as in the past, so logging into my user at console
>>> and attempting to startx from there I get this error:

[...]

> The Xorg module ABI is *not* stable or compatible across releases.  When you
> upgrade to a new Xorg release you must update all modules as well.  This happens
> automatically for modules provided with the OS, but not for add-ons
> like VirtualBox - if you use it's modules, you must install a new
> version of them
> to get support for the new Xorg ABI.

Thanks to you both... Alexander said something similar... but I had
already posted my second message before I saw it which probably made
it seem I still had problems.

I can report that after upgrading vbox 4.3.20 to Vbox 4.3.26 and
reinstalling user additions ... boot works as usual with the greeting
for login.