[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why I will never try to build Firefox from source code

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Mar 27 13:31:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, James Carlson wrote:

> Having developer (or perhaps better stated as "maintainer" or
> "distributor") provided binaries is great.  You're right that it's a
> time saver for ordinary users.

Developers hardly ever produce binaries for distribution, and usually
when they do, the available binaries have limited use and might not
be refreshed as often they should.

It is helpful if OpenIndiana users provide login accounts for
developers to remotely use in order to assure that the software they
develop will compile and run under OpenIndiana.

Many developers are not wealthy, are time constrained, or have limited
multi-platform experience.  As a result, they may only have experience
with one distribution of one OS.

With the availability of a development login account, these developers
who only have experience with one target can learn that other OS
targets are not like going to Mars and they can make the small
adaptations necessary so that the the software they write just works.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn