[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMR disks

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Fri May 1 08:05:14 UTC 2015

On 01/05/2015 07:13, Nick Tan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone tried using SMR disks with ZFS?  I bought a Seagate 8TB SMR disk
> and put it in a esata enclosure for my backups.  I found that zfs send
> would cause the disk to go offline.  My guess is that zfs send is too fast
> and fills the drive write cache.
>
> I tried again with just rsync and this worked fine.

How did you setup the drive?
What filesystem, or just writing to it serially like a tape drive?

SMR disks have some interesting issues with recording, particularly when
writing non-serially as most filesystems normally do. Since there's no
SMR support in Illumos, I presume you ran the drive in Drive Managed
mode - this makes it look like a standard random access drive. However,
like a flash drive, it will actually be laying the data on the drive out
very differently from what the host OS/filesystem imagines. Also like a
flash drive, it will have to do some housekeeping and move blocks of
data around on the disk and/or re-record large ranges of data previously
written, so performance from the host system may appear very mixed,
including some i/o requests which take long enough that with a standard
magnetic drive you would assume the drive is dying (probably why you saw
the drive reported as going offline). This may be fine for
archival/backup data (providing the host system knows to allow a long
time for i/o), but is less likely to be good for normal filesystem use
by applications.

There are better ways of driving SMR drives, but they require support in
the operating system and/or application. One of the uses they are more
suitable for is a key/value object store, because drives can implement
the object store layer entirely in the drive firmware hiding the real
layout from the system, and data is accessed entirely by using keys.

--
Andrew