[OpenIndiana-discuss] Transferring everything in one zpool to be a subtree in another larger zpool

Hans J Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:15:15 UTC 2015

I have this old machine running oi151a7 with a zpool containing a set of
filesystems used for media files of various types, and I want to transfer
them all, in one go, safely but not unnecessarily slowly, to a new zpool on
a different machine.

The old zpool is on a 2tb two-disk mirror on the oi151a7,  while the new
zpool is a freenas raidz2 of 12tb or so actual data space.

I want your advice on what is the correct, safest and/or most practical way
to do it.

Both machines are on a GB network, and neither of them will be doing
anything else while transferring the data.

I'm guessing zfs send/recv over the network, using nc for buffering, but
I've never done this before, so please advice me.

Hans J. Albertsson