[OpenIndiana-discuss] - Gnome panel CPU consumption in oi_151a9

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon May 18 23:09:10 UTC 2015

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] - Gnome panel CPU consumption in...:

> I'm currently struggling with one of my OpenIndiana servers  - in fact
> the only one with installed desktop - where Gnome panel chews has gone
> wild after upgrading to oi_151a9. Since then, Gnome panel eats some 12 -
> 50 percent CPU time. Anything I can do about that? The customer insists
> on a desktop environment for the server, so switching to TTY mode is not
> an option. :-(

Stefan-

I'm running OI151a9 on my primary workstation, and not seeing this issue.

I don't even know how to phrase this question, mostly because I don't
completely understand the architecture and when Compiz gets involved,
but is the problem server using Compiz?

Have you tried attaching to the process that's active on the CPU with
something like "truss -f", to see if you can spot any place where it's
looping on a repeated error?

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)