[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Sun Nov 1 08:58:12 UTC 2015

Your options are mainly with Solarish systems

- Oracle Solaris with USB 3 support
but the following options are far better, faster or more robust to
connect disks

- eSata for a single disk
- external SAS enclosures that supports up to 4 SAS/Sata disks per
miniSAS Cable
- SAS expander  (similar to Sata port multiplier but a more frofessional
solution) that supports hundreds of disks
- second NAS ex a HP microserver as a replication target for backups or
as an initiator source per FC, IB or iSCSI when needing more disks

You will not find either a good at all (on any platform) nor a Illumos
supported Sata port multiplier solution.

Gea