[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Rich Teer rich at richjen.com
Tue Nov 3 19:52:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015, Guenther Alka wrote:

> Your options are mainly with Solarish systems
>
> - Oracle Solaris with USB 3 support
> but the following options are far better, faster or more robust to connect
> disks

[...]

All good ideas, and I agree, probably better in a commercial environment.
However (and I forgot to mention this), this is for my home server and I'm
strapped for cash at the moment, so I'm looking for a *cheap*, reasonably
performant solution.

I'm currently using the external drive bay with a USB 2 connection, plus
an eSATA drive (3-way mirror).  My plan is to drop the eSATA drive (it's
a 2 TB drive vs the 4 TB drives in the other drive bay), and stick to just
the USB port and (for the time being) live with the presumably crappy
performance that will bring.

>From the feedback I've received here, it seems that for better performance
(considering my budget) I will have to go the USB 3 route, which also means
that I may have to abandon a Solaris-based OS. :-(  In the immediate term,
that probably means going the Linux + ZFS on LInux route.  I'll buy a cheap
($30 or so) USB 3 card that is supported on Linux, and take it from there.
(I can't believe that I just wrote that; my how times have changed!)

--
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com