[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:58:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Rich Teer <rich at richjen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>
> > You might be better off with a FreeNAS setup instead of Linux+ZFS, as
> long
> > as you don't mind configuring it via a browser interface ... We have 3 of
> > the beasties now running in production environments and they even have
> ZFS
> > boot (and they don't forget how to do ZFS when they get a new kernel)
>
> Hmm, that's a good idea (although the browser-only stuff gives me pause).
> like the idea of ZFS boot.  I guess I should really take a closer look at
> ZFS
> on FreeBSD too...

Bear in mind that USB3 is still experimental in FreeNAS/FreeBSD 9.3—the
current stable version of FreeNAS—so you have to explicitly turn it on. My
USB3 PCIe card works, but the USB3 ports on my Lenovo ThinkServer TS140
motherboard don't. And while there has been a lot of USB work in FreeBSD
10.x, USB3 is still hit and miss based on which USB chipset you have.

Phil