[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Fri Nov 6 19:36:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> Assume that this is for a network server with advanced network
> configuration settings, ssh config, zones, etc.
>
> If was the same as a standard OS install without subsequent configuration,
> then backing up would not be so important.

In ye olden days, or on FreeBSD, I'd probably back up /etc (and, on BSD,
/usr/local/etc) with rsync and assume that would capture the configuration.

With SMF, which is opaque about its config file locations, I suspect that
wouldn't do it.  I think the service configuration settings are scattered
around the filesystem, with some of it under /lib.

--
D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics