[OpenIndiana-discuss] Broken zpool

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 7 22:11:36 UTC 2015

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015, Philip Robar wrote:
> corrupt, with redundancy it can fix the problem. With a single drive ZFS
> pool you give up that integrity and there's a good chance that any data
> corruption will then be passed on to your backup before ZFS flags it
> resulting in the loss of that data.

I expect that zfs will detect checksum error during 'zfs send' similar
to the way it detects checksum errors while reading data.  Due to
this, I don't buy it that data corruption might be passed to the
backup while using zfs mechanims (other than due to zfs implementation
bug).  It can easily be silently corrupted by user or application
error at a higher level though.  Higher level corruption is where
snapshots may save the day.

Otherwise, I agree with the other points you made.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn