[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

John D Groenveld jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu
Tue Nov 10 01:49:54 UTC 2015

In message <alpine.GSO.2.01.1511061522270.20442 at freddy.simplesystems.org>, Bob
Friesenhahn writes:
>It seems easy enough to back up the root pool (via filesystem or zfs
>send) but restoring the desired parts on top of a freshly installed
>root pool (perhaps based on a fresher OS release) is not so clear.
>For example, how does one restore persistent networking configuration
>(links, bridges, IP interfaces)?

The received snapshot of your BE retains that information
so you shouldn't have many problem so long as its just
rpool spindle failures.

1. Reinstall OS from installation media.
2. Boot
3. # zfs create rpool/restore
4. # zfs receive -vF -d rpool/restore < rpool-snapshot.zfs
5. # zfs rename rpool/restore/ROOT/mybe rpool/ROOT/mybe
6. zfs rename any other filesystems or vols you want to retain
from your rpool-snapshot
7. munge /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst with rpool/restore/boot/grub/menu.lst
8. # beadm activate mybe

My WAG is things fail when NICs or other devices are missing
on your restored hardware but I can't test right now to see
how badly.

John
groenveld at acm.org