[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool and HDD problems

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 5 00:36:32 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 03:27:38PM -0700, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Greetings.
> I've recently had three hard drives fail in my server. One was the
> OS disk, so I just reinstalled. The other two, however, were each
> one-half of zpool mirrors. They are the problem disks.

That's very unusual for three disks to fail at the same time.
Maybe something else happened.

> Both have been replaced, but now I cannot seem to work with them. In
> format -e, they are giving errors, specifically:

The short disk addresses, like c?d?, suggest that the disk controller
is in IDE mode.  Was it in AHCI mode before?  That would produce
longer disk addresses, like c?t?d?.  The mode change could well be
responsible for the symptoms you report.