[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox 24.8.1 versus 38.2.1 and Mozilla removing NPAPI

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Fri Oct 9 17:34:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

The next link tell that Mozilla drop the old Netscape Plugin API well known as NPAPI from Firefox
at the end of 2016. So I think there is no reason to use the hipster Firefox 24.8.1.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/

I read that with Firefox 38.2.1 plugins do not work (not the same with 24.8.1 ?)

With Firefox 38.2.1esr loaded here :

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/38.2.1esr/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/

- First OpenJDK hipster Plugin is OK. You juste have to do the following link

cd .mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/lib/IcedTeaPlugin.so IcedTeaPlugin.so

and you have a working Java Plugin. Need to have :
runtime/java/openjdk7
web/browser/firefox/plugin/firefox-java

- Second add Shumway (Flash) extension. Shumway now works with some sites and no longer need to install and old flash player.
(If you have uninstall it or disable it).

Shumway run the : http://revaweb.com/test_flash.html

It also works with most of files with .swf extension from : http://www.swishzone.com/max_swi/

Adobe test fail, but if you open the .swf (have to view source of the page), Adobe test are working.

- Third 38.2.1 is more secure

- Last, if you test Firefox here : http://html5test.com/

38.2.1 score is 411
24.8.1 score is 369