[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPv6 Manual configuration

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Fri Oct 16 18:53:18 UTC 2015

HI,

I have figured out why I had problems configuring IPv6 with ipadm. My
interfaces are configured using /etc/hostname.<interface> so they are
classified as temporary interfaces.

To get IPv6 working, I created an /etc/hostname6.<interface> and
rebooted this caused a link local address to be assigned to the
interface. By modifying the /etc/hostname6.<interface> file and adding
the following line

addif XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX/64 up

this creates a logical interface to which the static IPv6 address is
assigned.  To stop a SLAAC address from being created you need to edit
the /etc/inet/ndpd.conf file and add

<interface> StatelessAddrConf false

Then perform a "pkill -HUP in.ndpd"  to restart the Neighbour Discovery
Protocol daemon.

Having configured a few Linux machines with static addresses, the Linux
GUI makes the whole process straight forward.
I did find out that the Linux Mint has IPv6 access in Firefox disabled
by default but can be enabled by accessing about.config and then setting
"network.dns.disableIP6" to false.

Regards

Russell