[OpenIndiana-discuss] HPLIP-3.15.9 build

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 19 10:42:24 UTC 2015

Ramesh Chari wrote:
> i wish to connect to my HP LaserJet Pro MFP m126nw printer over wireless [configured successfully over dhcp as the return of "ping IP_ADDRESS_OF_PRINTER" shows alive]
>
> the available hplip-3.15.7 [thru hp-setup] says it needs a hp-plugin to be installed but i cant install [GPG error found]
>
> installing this printer is essential as multifuntion device is readily available. [for your info, i was able to build hplip-3.15.9 from scratch in elementary OS but i cant do so in openindiana. [OI lacks deps which is a long list. i try to manually install all deps which is not possible as many packages are unavailable]
>
> can 3.15.9 be built and provided as update with support of automatic plugin installer for respective models as listed? i am sure many must be trying for this. if successful, help will be appreciated if shared here !

I am having the same issue with my HP LaserJet Pro P1102w.
This printer needs a proprietary plugin in hplip (called
hpcups), which can only be downloaded from the HP website
while installing the printer in cups.

On Linux you have to install hplip, then start hp-gui to
download the plugin, then you can start hp-setup. The
Linux hplip I use is 3.14.10.

The hplip (3.5.17) from OpenIndiana Hipster does not have
the hp-gui function, so I could not trigger the downloading
of the plugin.
When you recompiled hplip, did you get hp-gui ?
Now, I have no idea whether the plugin is system agnostic
or compiled by HP for OpenIndiana. If neither there is no
much hope.

Jean-Pierre