[OpenIndiana-discuss] Enabling IPv6 on OpenIndiana

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 17:41:22 UTC 2015

Hi

I recently got an IPv6 connection and wanted to get OpenIndiana working
with IPv6, intially I tried to do this with the
/etc/hostname6.<interface> file but found this worked well for
autoconfiguration but not with static configuration.
So in order to get thing working with the ipadm command, I needed to
remove /etc/hostname.* and /etc/hostname6.* plus a few other files.

After removing the files adding the IPv4 addresses was really easy

# dladm show-phys
LINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE
e1000g1      Ethernet             up         1000   full e1000g1
e1000g2      Ethernet             up         1000   full e1000g2

Create the e1000gN interfaces
# ipadm create-if e1000g1
# ipadm create-if e1000g2

Now assign the IPv4 Address
# ipadm create-addr -T static -a A.B.C.D/N e1000g1/v4

Show Addressing
# ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           127.0.0.1/8
e1000g1/v4        static   ok           A.B.C.D/N

In order to add an IPv6 address, you must enable autoconfiguration first
as per
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1453/ipv6-config-tasks-64.html
# ipadm create-addr -T addconf e1000g1/v6

when I try to add a static address as per document
# ipadm create-addr -T static 2000:A:B:C:D:E:F:G/64 e1000g1/v6
ipadm: Invalid arguments
usage:     create-addr    [-t] -T static [-d]
-a{local|remote}=addr[/prefixlen]
             <addrobj>
     create-addr    [-t] -T dhcp [-w <seconds> | forever] <addrobj>
     create-addr    [-t] -T addrconf [-i interface-id]
             [-p {stateful|stateless}={yes|no}] <addrobj>

if I change the addrobj then the address is added
# ipadm create-addr -T static 2000:A:B:C:D:E:F:G/64 e1000g1/v6a

The document indicates to turn off IPv6 Address Autoconfiguration you
need to include in /etc/inet/ndpd.conf the following definition

e1000g1   StatelessAddrConf false

When I check the Address Information
# ipadm show-addr -o all
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        CURRENT PERSISTENT ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           U----   --- 127.0.0.1/8
e1000g1/v4        static   ok           U----   U--        A.B.C.D/N
lo0/v6            static   ok           U----   ---        ::1/128
e1000g1/v6        addrconf ok           U----   U-- fe80::::::::/10
e1000g1/v6a       static   ok           U----   U-- 2000::::::/64
e1000g1/v6        addrconf ok           U----   --- 2000::::::/64

I would like to able to remove the auto-configured Global address, I
modified the ndpd.conf so that included

e1000g1 StatelessAddrConf false
e1000g1/v6 StatelessAddrConf false

I have tried them singly and together in different order but the
autoconfigured Global Address keeps appearing.

The autoconfigured global address would initially disappear after
performing a "pkill -HUP in.ndpd" but it always returns.

Any assistance in removing the Global autoconfigured address would be
appreciated.

Just as an aside, configuring IPv6 on LinuxMint is so easy, a couple of
minutes and its done.

TIA

Russell