[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana-discuss Digest, Vol 63, Issue 17

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:32:32 UTC 2015

On 10/25/15 03:35 PM, ken mays via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Nikola,According to the support page the password data can be found in ~/.mozilla/firefox/key3.db and  ~/.mozilla/firefox/signons.sqlite files. These files needs to be read with a sqlite editor. There are other alternatives like extensions that do so too for CVS/XML formatted output/input.The LastPass Password Manager addon lets you store and encrypt your passwords in Firefox. It automatically exports (and deletes) the passwords stored locally and plainly during installation to your LastPass Vault. It also has a feature for generating a random password for a particular website.Enjoy,Ken
As I understand Firefox update should take care of the passwords stores
in Firefox
and there is change in how Firefox do it in between ESR releases.

Also Mozilla addon page you recommended is stating this for it's source
code license:
  " Copyright LastPass -- All Rights Reserved" and that's it.
So it is proprietary addon you are recommenfing, that is hardly in the
feeling of free software and open source and is actually unusable for
Openindiana, compromising of free software and open licensed packages.

Firefox itself during updates usually transfers user data in between
older and newer Firefox version to enable user continuing use of Firefox
after update.
This is not the case as I see with passwords.
I suggest that Openindiana jump to ESR release that is built within it
that takes care of password database format updates.

Intervention of user itself after Firefox update and using external
Firefox extensions is undesireble.
It breaks user experience using external extension to manage passwords
(that are already encrypted in Firefox when storing to disk, providing
Master password is used).

Also I never get full instructions how to build Firefox from sources,
from Oracle contributed builds.
Is it built with gcc or studio?
Are sources available on
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/38.2.1esr/source/
include patches to Firefox from Oracle or they are only sources from
Mozilla? I think not becaus eit is contributed build.
I am sure it is available somewhere so I ask, per Mozilla license, where
are they so it could be built localy in OI.