[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does the latest OI version allow ashift=12 for zpool creation?

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Wed Oct 28 15:49:33 UTC 2015

I think I provided you the means to do that. Once upon a time there was
a patch for zpool(1) to create ashit modifications. As far as I know, it
never made it into an OI distribution. At some point in time  Wilson
added this functionality to the sd driver and no one looked back.

I am interested to know what you think about the performance of your
256b drives working in a 4k zpool. Please let me know how that works out.

I use 8k sector sizes on our SSDs (which internally do 8k writes) with
128k record sizes for what are natively 8k writes from postgres. The
SSDs have a mix of firmware that reports 256b and 4k sector sizes to the
host. Nailing the sector size allowed me to skip flashing the firmware
on hundreds of DC S3700 drives. Conventional wisdom is to align your
recordsize with your I/O patter. However, using 8k recordsizes horribly
fragmented the pool over time and performance plummeted.  I consider
this formulation secret sauce for very active databases.

j.