[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Oct 29 01:18:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015, jason matthews wrote:

> never mind, zfs split doesnt work on rpools.

'zpool offline -t pool device', 'dd' device image, 'zpool online pool
device' would work but it would be a stupid backup and extremely slow
if the disk is large.  If the other disk failed during this procedure,
then the system would panic.  Some resilvering would be required when
the device is placed back on line.

It is not clear to me where persistent configuration is stored.  For
example, 'ipadm' accesses a service via
"/etc/svc/volatile/ipadm/ipmgmt_door".  I was thinking that the
configuration data is stored in /etc/svc/volatile/ipadm/aobjmap.conf
but evidence suggests that this data is used when the ipmgmtd daemon
is restarted.

If one restores a system based on a partial file backup (e.g. /etc),
what files need to be restored to restore the persistent network
configuration?  The manual page does not say.

Zfs configuration is easy due to zfs import/export and 'zfs history'.
However, one must still remember which pools should be imported (if
they are remote).

Doing a zfs send of the current boot environment (ignoring all others)
still seems easiest.  This still misses any filesystems outside of the
boot environment.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn