[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris Studio on OpenIndiana

Nikolam minikola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:48:45 UTC 2015

Hipster is rolling release that rolls itself all the time from one .ISO
free to another few times a year. It is easy for inclusion of additional
packages and experimenting. It is newest and freshest OI you can find and
that makes sense.

If you want to make your life more easy, just use OI Hipster latest
20141010 ISO and install and after making and booting new BE (beadm list
beadm create , beadm activate), you can change repository to /hipster-2015
and update to newest Hipster from 2015.
You will loose ability for Oracle Solaris to read the disk, but still can
use both ZfsOnLinux and FreeBSD for installing and runing from same Zpool
and OSX for storing data.

/Personal install with older ZFS on
If you want to combine Oracle Solaris accessing OI ZFS pool, take care that
also ZFS versions took part after ZFS v. 28, so if you install form /dev
151a3, you will still have ZFS V.28 that can be also R/W from Oracle
Solaris.
All later /dev and Hipster ISOs install with OpenZFS and ZFS Feature flags
enabled that does not use ZFS versions but enables per-OS distribution
per-dataset functionality (Oracle Solaris does not implement this).
So I personally installed form 151a3 to get ZFS v 28 on disk, updated to
151a9 latest, and then made new BE with beadm create, then mounted new BE's
dataset with beadm mount _name_ /mnt and then emptied /mnt and then beadm
unmount it.
Then I installed OI Hipster in Virtualbox with username different from OI
install, and then did zfs send | zfs receive from Virtualbox to host
dataset for new BE and the same for user dir.
Thar way i got both OI /dev and OI /hipster on ZFS v28 pool, with ability
to (maybe) add also Oracle Solaris on same Zpool (not tested yet)
/Personal install with older ZFS off