[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiple monitor support

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Sep 8 17:59:49 UTC 2015

8 сентября 2015 г. 19:07:32 CEST, "Rick C. Hodgin" <rick.c.hodgin at gmail.com> пишет:
>That should read "in OpenIndiana" and not "in OpenSolaris"... my
>mistake.
>:-)
>
>Best regards,
>Rick C. Hodgin
>

>On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Rick C. Hodgin
><rick.c.hodgin at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I have a Gigabyte motherboard with an integrated ATI Radeon GPU.  It
>works
>> properly in OpenSolaris.  However, I have two monitors.  If I mirror
>them
>> the screen displays on both.  If I try to set them separately, I get
>the
>> error "required virtual size dose not fit available size".  It shows
>me
>> 1920,1920 for the maximum virtual size, and it needs 3600x1200.
>>
>> What can I do to correct this?  I searched online and found several
>Linux
>> solutions.  They say add the virtual size line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>> tried that, rebooted, and X wouldn't start.  I removed xorg.conf and
>> rebooted and I'm back to where I started.
>>
>> TYIA!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Rick C. Hodgin

I think in your xorg.conf you should have several Display and Monitor clauses, and some clause to combine them intona large canvas.

Something similar works for me in OI Hipster running as a VirtualBox guest under Windows - there I have variably one or two displays (laptop + ext.mon. at work), and OI with VBox switch it around quite well. There are quirks, e.g. I can't get it to remember which display is left and which is right, especially as I switch the VM from two fullscreens into a seamless mode. But the engine mostly works and is useful anyhow ;)

However, I did not dig deep into xorg files and used the Screen Resolution wizard instead.

BTW, does your Radeon work as such, or as a VESA VGA (like my APU = CPU+GPU chip on another laptop)? Does standby work for you? :-)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android