[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris Studio on OpenIndiana

Ian Collins ian at ianshome.com
Wed Sep 9 03:39:08 UTC 2015

Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> Hi.  I'm new to Solaris and OpenIndiana.  I heard about it on the
> comp.lang.c group because I was told SunStudio and later had a
> fix-and-continue compiler.  I was able to download OpenIndiana from the
> link below, and install Sun Studio through the package manager.  It works
> great, but I'm finding some limitations in using it as a developer tool.
>
> I was hoping someone could help me setup Solaris Studio 12.4.  When I went
> through adding the publishers, and tried to add it through the package
> manager, I get lots of errors regarding packages that should come from
> solaris which instead come from openindiana.

One way to run Studio 12.4 on something other than Solaris 11.2 is to
use the tar ball download.

To get it to start on OpenIndiana with openjdk, you will have to edit
the launcher (bin/solstudio) and change 'java version' to 'openjdk
version' in the function GetJavaVersion().

You will also need the system headers package installed (sudo pkg
install system/header).

This was tested in a VirtualBox VM, installed from
OI-hipster-gui-20150330 updated to latest packages (to get openjdk7).

--
Ian.