[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic on hung zpool accessed via lofi

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:24:51 UTC 2015

On 09/11/15 08:57 PM, Watson, Dan wrote:
> I'm using mpt_sas with SATA drives, and I_DO_  have error counters climbing for some of those drives, is it probably that?
> Any other ideas?

It is generally strongly advised to use SATA disks on SATA controllers
and SAS disks on SAS controllers. And to use controller that can do JBOD.

Also, using SAS to SATA multipliers or using port multipliers at all is
strongly disadvised too,
because it is usually cheap logic in it, that can go crazy and disk is
not under direct control of the controller..

Also what OI/illumos is that, because I was reading long ago there were
some bugs solved in illumos for mpt_sas.

First two issues could be hardware problems, and such config is usually
unsupportable (I know it is not on Smartos), third issue could be seen
further.