[OpenIndiana-discuss] OT how to test a monitor

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 16 21:35:11 UTC 2015

A bit off topic but at least the monitor is connected to an OI 151_a9
host.

My setup:
HP xw8600 2x xeon running OI_151_a9
Asus monitor (Model:VW266H 25.5")
  (full specs can be viewed here:
  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047 )

I've been using this monitor for a good 2 yrs probably more like 3.
All parts of setup have been running thru a kvm switch (iogear 4 port)
that is a bit older and has 4 hosts attached.

Cutting to chase: Monitor suddenly will not produce a computer screen
from any host. All parts; hosts, kvm, monitor and keyboard have been in
use in this arrangement for same period of time.

Of course, first move was to bypass KVM and attach it direct to each
host.  On all four, when monitor is turned on, I see asus start screen
followed by a message that no signal is present.

I have not yet changed out the cable for lack of known good one.

Anyone have some ideas while I procure a known good video cable?

I'd like to feel confident that the monitor is actually the fauty
piece of equipment.

Can anyone suggest a definitive test?