[OpenIndiana-discuss] System will not boot, boot-archive fails

Watson, Dan Dan.Watson at bcferries.com
Mon Sep 21 17:01:43 UTC 2015

I have had this issue. My (bad) solution was to comment out bootadm from both boot-archive service scripts and run them manually as needed. It seems to be an indicator of too much latency. SVC only waits 20s by default and bootadm update can take up to 100s with sub-par disks.

I find when the disks are "good enough" the first run will time out, but after you log in to maintenance mode and clear the service is finishes instantly because it completed when SVC timed it out waiting for it.

Dan