[OpenIndiana-discuss] System will not boot, boot-archive fails

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:25:10 UTC 2015

If drives had beed set as JBOD (on disk format not related to disk
controller)
then drives themselves should work on any machine and controller and OS
using OpenZFS.

Of course, it is best not to have SAS/SATA expanders and to use SAS
controller for SAS and SATA for SATA.

I would Leave all disks in and try to import with some another install
of both Openindiana, other illumos distro or even FreBSD and Linux with
ZFSOnLinux.

You can install OI Hipster in VirtualBox and then do zfs send/receive
system and user datasets to the main system disk/rpool to newly made and
empied BE. That way you can also boot OI Hipster and see if importing
behaves differently with newest illumos.
I bet it's some hardware failure to aether controller, expanders and/or
disk(s).