[OpenIndiana-discuss] openh264

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:49:41 UTC 2015

On 25/09/2015 20:38, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Yesterday I realized that there is a new plugin for firefox the openh264 plugin.
> I tried to compile it and with a few tricks I managed to compile it and to
> create the plugin. I tried the installation instructions for Fedora
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenH264
>
> but the plugin does not work. I am using Firefox ESR 38.2.1
>
> Is it possible that the Firefox build has disabled support for
> openh264?

H264 in firefox is not as free as you suppose it to be:

<http://andreasgal.com/2014/10/14/openh264-now-in-firefox/>

So you can't simply compile that, and I presume that the
Cisco binary is platform dependent, and they certainly
won't compile an OI/Solaris binary for you. And, even if
they would, currently it isn't used for videos, but only
for WebRTC in firefox, so still no high resolution in
youtube and elsewhere. Since flash does not work with the
new firefox 38.x (Sun binary), firefox on OI will be crippled
for the foreseeable future.